Make Some Noise Podcast with Andrea Owen
Andrea Owen’s podcast description:
This week I am talking to Bethany Webster about the mother wound. Bethany says, “When we are children and our mothers harm us, they are to blame. They are adults and are responsible for us. But as we grow up and turn into adults, it then becomes our responsibility to do the healing within ourselves. If you can walk the path of healing the mother wound and inner mothering, the rewards are so rich.”
Bethany is a writer, international speaker, and transformational coach. She started blogging in 2013 about the Mother Wound and quickly experienced worldwide demand for her work. Through blending research on intergenerational trauma, feminist theory, and psychology with her own personal story, Bethany’s work is the result of decades of research and her own journey of healing.
If you have a great relationship with your mother, don’t turn this episode off! Even if you have or had a good relationship with her, we can still struggle with some mother-wounding. Tune into this episode to hear about what the mother wound is and how to begin to heal from it.
We talk about:
- Bethany explains what the mother wound is and where it comes from. (5:06)
- Healing the four layers of the mother wound. (7:25)
- The cost of avoiding the mother wound and what prevents women from healing it. (13:47)
- How to heal the mother wound without mother-blaming. (20:14)
- What to do if/when your mother responds with “Oh, so it’s always my fault?” (36:53)
- Bethany’s experience with estrangement from her mother. (39:24)